Grade 6 Social Studies is based on the geography and history of the Eastern Hemisphere, including the development of cultures, civilizations, and empires. We also focus on interactions between societies and comparisons between their governments and economies.
In class we begin with scholars using their geographic skills. This provides the foundations for our students to make connections between the past and the present throughout the course. The curriculum is divided into seven key ideas that cover a time span of pre-history into the 1300’s. My critical thinkers will be provided the opportunity to explore belief systems across time and to examine the foundations of democracy.
1. Present-day Eastern Hemisphere geography
2. The first humans in the Eastern Hemisphere
3. Early river valley civilizations in the Eastern Hemisphere
4. Comparative World religions
5. Comparative classical civilizations in the Eastern Hemisphere
6. Mediterranean world
7. Interactions Across the Eastern Hemisphere